Wednesday, November 5, 2008

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!

I know we do not all agree on politics, and in general, this will not be a political blog. However, as with many of you, this election has been a big part of my family's life. So with that in mind......



I am overjoyed that this beautiful family will be moving into the white house in January!
It is such a happy day! I am so proud to be an American. Martin Luther King Jr. would be so happy to see that his dream came true. To see the American people come together and elect this man to our highest office, judging him "not by the color of his skin, but the content of his character". We have come so far from slavery, to 3/5th of a person, to the right to vote. From segregation, to separate-but-equal, to integration, to an African American president. I have tears in my eyes, that for the FIRST TIME EVER, I can honestly look into my bi-racial children's faces and say to them "you CAN be anything you want to be!!" We have taken such a stride forward......
The only hitch in my step, cloud in my sunny sky is the knowledge that CA prop 8 and AZ prop 102 are both passing. We took such a leap forward, and steps back, all in the same night. It hurts my heart for one human being to say to another, you are less than me. To write discrimination into our states' constitutions seems like a huge wall in the face of progress. So I have both tears of joy and sadness on this historic day in America!
But my thoughts are mostly positive, as I remember the eloquent speech given by President Elect Barack Obama, that we are the United Sates of America. That we can overcome these tough times, that America can once again be a powerful force of good in the world. YES WE CAN!

1 comment:

H said...

I'm with you on this. The day after the election a friend asked what I thought... I said, "I'm proud of our country, and disappointed in our state." It's crazy that months later I still have such strong emotions about this topic. (I better stop reading your old posts now and just wait for some new ones!)